Pages


Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Clipped Wings 2008


Linocut printed from two blocks in one colour with watercolour hand colouring
Diptych 56 x 38 cm each panel (image)
Photograph by Tim Gresham.

Created for the exhibition 'Double'.
Wagga Wagga Art Gallery, Cnr. Baylis and Morrow Streets, Wagga Wagga NSW.
This exhibition of prints by thirteen contemporary Australian artists explores the theme 'double'. Exhibiting artists include Raymond Arnold, Rona Green, Andrew Gunnell, Greg Harrison, Michael Kempson, Deborah Klein, Rebecca Mayo, John Ryrie, Olga Sankey, Heather Shimmen, Sophia Szilagyi, Janet Tavener and Joel Wolter.
Curated by Rona Green
1 August-26 October, 2008

Artist's Statement

The notion of the double in all its various guises has never been the primary focus of my work, but it continues to make return appearances, sometimes almost unbidden.

Until recently I have never thought to wonder why. I am still not sure if I know the answer, or if I even need to. I suspect the fact that I am an only child has some bearing on my lifelong fascination with the subject.

The need to connect with someone like ourselves is imbedded in all of us and in the world of the Double this is no better demonstrated than by Siamese Twins.

Clipped Wings suggests that the separation of Siamese Twins may not necessarily be positive, or even desirable.